Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gotti

I gave my friend that name, not because of any similarities in character traits but because he’s a total contradiction to the infamous gangster. Usually though, I call him any name that comes to mind.

The ice breaker in our relationship came very early. On our second meeting, we strolled into the convenient store that was at the basement of our office building. Since he had forgotten his wallet I got him something that he wanted. So, the next time we strolled in there together, he insisted on returning the favor. First he tried to convince me to buy some face cream, which he thought the girls were obsessed about. Turned out to be an anti aging, wrinkle-lift cream. As shook my head and looked on in amazement, he proceeded to completely kill my pride, all in the belief that this is what girls would like– Makeup? Toothpaste? Deodorant?
I remember walking out of the shop with two soaps and an ice cream and a lot of laughter. I told him that I had a feeling that we were gonna be best friends. And so it was. I don’t claim to understand the higher emotions of love, respect, trust and all that jazz, but this guy means the world to me.

He remains the only guy in history with whom I have never needed to pretend with. He has seen the hundred different people that live in me, and dealt with them, some better than the others, but always maintained his unconditional love.

I owe him a lot for that love, his company, and his completely goofy sense of humor. For instance, once when I asked him why he refuses to do night shifts, he replied that he couldn’t breathe properly at night. Or when his ears turned red while trying to purchase sanitry pads for me, and i pointed it out, he maintained that he wasn't embarrased, just -get this- dehydrated.All he needed was a glass of water to get his ears to turn it's normal colour again. Cho Chweet!!!

We have led parallel lives till now. Challenging years - our adolescence. During the time that we needed all the emotional and financial security we could get, but didn’t have. Both of us didn’t have an option of going wild. Control was the key word in our lives. He grew to cherish it, while I grew to detest it. And at the times when I could afford it, I’d let go. While for him, letting go would never be the sensible thing to do. That’s where the polarity in our natures come in. Two people, facing pretty much the same situations in life, and coming out of it as two completely different people.

Strange, but I love the similarities, and the polarities with equal intensity. The acceptance amazes me.

Like it happens to every equation between a man and a woman - both the people involved, at some time would want to push the boundaries. Sometimes at the same time, which works out best. Or in other instance one will have such feelings much stronger than the other.
I wanted to push the boundaries – go wild. Gotti wanted to treasure what we have for it’s sheer rarity and not risk it. That says a lot about our elemental nature. Getting back to the point, Gotti is happy with what is, while I lament for what could be, coz contentment is not my favorite word – joy is.

Yesterday when I called him up for some reason in the afternoon, he told me he was in Meerut. In the evening the breaking news was that a major fire had broken out in some makeshift shopping center in Meerut. I picked up the phone and called Gotti to find out if he was alright. He didn’t answer. I kept trying till late in the evening. Throughout this entire episode, I felt very detached as I watched the news, that was showing the gory scenes of charred bodies littered around that complex. When he finally called back, it was as if a damn had broken within me and I started yelling at him. Though his voice calmed me, I couldn’t help but think – What if? What if I had lost him? What if I had lost him before I could tell him how much I value him in my life, how much his presence means to me. What if I had lost him before i made him realise -as the song goes – How deep is my love?
But now that that phase is over, I am sure that the next time we’ll meet it will be back to fun and games, arguments and fights and so on. He'll never know.

Life is a constant
And each individual an interpretation
In it some people are inherently pure like gold
Some evolve from being a speck of dirt into a pearl
Some let the world change them
And a few change the world.
You have been all of that
The inherent and the evolved
The acceptance and the revolution.

One word for you is complete, and you are more than that
Coz not only are you complete in yourself
You make my world content as well

To all who have known you, and all whose lives you have touched
You are a gem, and that makes you precious
But know this, that to your me,
You mark the difference between Precious and Essential

4 Comments:

Blogger Innocent Bullet said...

Tell Gotti! :-))

12:48 AM  
Blogger Vijayeta said...

Beautiful!!! I really dont know what to say here...except that its such a beautifully honest post :)
Hold on to Gotti! He seems Precious AND Essential.
:D

10:14 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Gotti will forever be my best friend Vij. Decided not to push the relationship and f**k it up metaphorically and otherwise ;-)

11:00 PM  
Blogger starry said...

Just stopped by from shankari's Blog.to say hello. you have a nice blog here and enjoyed reading this post.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home